A few days after the new low consumption world record made by Peugeot, PSA Peugeot Citroën introduces the DS5 180 hp getting 53 MPG.
With almost 53,000 orders since it was launched in 2011, the DS5 confirms the unabashed pleasure of driving an exceptional car every day. The new DS5 BlueHDi 180 BVA 6 is the perfect embodiment of the brand’s “Créative Technologie” slogan, with innovative, virtuous technology that delivers even more comfort, power and pleasure.
The DS5 boasts a new suspension system for a comfortable and dynamic. The new shock absorbers attenuate bumps in the road even more. Designed to dampen oscillation, they improve vibration comfort and offer a smoother ride. The preloaded linear valve (PLV) is a progressive damping technology that reduces sudden changes in damping force by enabling the shock absorber to produce a more linear damping force curve. This enhances comfort without taking away any of the dynamic qualities of the DS5. The result is an even more coherent car with an enhanced feel.
Equipped with the powerful, environmentally-aware new BlueHDi 180 engine, the DS5 combines performance with driving pleasure.
An optimised version of the Euro 5 2-litre HDi diesel engines, the BlueHDi 180 offers superior enjoyment by delivering high power (133 kW) and maximum torque (400 Nm at 2,000 rpm). The addition of a new variable-geometry turbocharger together with higher supercharging pressure and combustion pressure raise the power of the DS5 BlueHDi 180 by 20 bhp over the previous generation.
The new engine is also fitted with balance shafts that provide the acoustic and vibration comfort you expect at this end of the range.
CITROËN is also ahead of the regulations, since the BlueHDi 180 engine already meets the Euro 6 standard with an exhaust system comprising:
- An oxidation catalyst at the rear end of the engine to eliminate engine-out hydrocarbons (HC) and carbon monoxide (CO) from combustion,
- a Selective Catalytic Reduction (SCR) module, positioned upline from the particulate filter, which injects Adblue®* (urea) to transform up to 90% of the nitrogen oxides (NOx) into harmless water vapour (H2O) and nitrogen (N2),
- the additive particulate filter, world-premiered in 2000 by the PSA Peugeot Citroën Group, to eliminate up to 99.9% of particulates.
A innovative, unique exhaust architecture with a precise line-up of technologies: the SCR module positioned upline from the additive particulate filter is the only after-treatment system that can reduce up to 90% of NOx emissions while cutting CO2 emissions by up to 4%.
The DS5 BlueHDi 180 has a latest-generation six-speed automatic gearbox. The new transmission lowers the engine’s operating speeds thanks to an adaptation of the gear ratios, with a wider power band enabling constant performance at take- off and a decrease in the engine operating speed at higher vehicle speed, enabled by the engine’s high torque (400 Nm) developed at 2,000 rpm.
The gear ratios of the new gearbox and the associated accelerator pedal maps adapt to each driver’s driving style. These settings enable you to shift from an economical, controlled to a dynamic driving style by pressing harder on the accelerator.
The many advantages (high power, low fuel consumption and environmental impact mitigation) of the BlueHDi 180 engine give the DS5 BlueHDi 180 BVA 6 among the best CO2 emissions and fuel consumption levels in the segment (114
gg/km de CO2 and 53 MPG (4.4 litres/100 km)).
Fuel consumption gains were achieved by working various aspects of the design:
- Less loss of mechanical energy due to engine and gearbox friction: by using an electronically controlled oil pump, reduction of friction in all moving parts (pistons, cam shafts, valves, etc.), hydraulic energy management, etc.
- A 7 kg lighter powertrain: plastic oil tank, crankcase with thin walls, a new cylinder-head architecture with an integrated air intake manifold, etc.
- More efficient combustion with a low-CO2 combustion chamber. - Stop&Start on this BlueHDi engine.
From Japan ! (not the 180hp version)